(3) Multidisciplinary knowledge and teamwork skills.
(4) Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
(5) Project planning and management skills.
(6) Effective self-expression and presentation skills.
(7) A sense of social responsibility and global perspective.
(8) A thirst for lifelong learning.
Solid professional knowledge
Surveying, collecting, analyzing, and presenting environmental data
Identifying and solving problems, developing improvement strategies
Technical proficiency (experience working with AutoCAD, GIS, 3D FLASH, TELES)
Ability to apply professional knowledge in planning reports
Practical professional skills
Ability to apply professional knowledge in case analysis
Writing planning reports
Familiarity with map design, model presentations, and poster preparation
Multidisciplinary knowledge and teamwork skills
Efficient group work and coordination
Ability to apply professional knowledge in various disciplines (i.e. effective integration of urban planning and disaster management related knowledge)
Ability to use computer software (e.g. GIS, AutoCAD, and Sketchup) in data analysis and reports
Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
Ability to identify and analyze problems
Ability to suggest development strategies and/or direction
Ability to apply computer software (e.g. GIS and TELES) in data analysis, induction and simulation
Ability to develop effective strategies to address the issues of the completed project
Project planning and management skills
Identifying problems and themes for projects
Ability to execute and complete projects
Effective self-expression and presentation skills
Ability to write professional reports and projects
Ability to produce systematic reviews
Ability to make and present posters and 3D models
Ability to apply computer software (e.g. GIS, AutoCAD, and Sketchup) to enhance the quality of presentations
A sense of social responsibility and global perspective
Good understanding of global environmental trends and issues
Taking part in various collaborative projects and international exchange programs
A thirst for lifelong learning
Keeping on track with the newest theories, practices, and techniques
Collecting and analyzing the most current cases in the field
CORE COMPETENCIES: Master's and Professional Master's Degree Programs
Master's Degree Program
(1) Major issues related to global environmental change and climate change in our Master's degree program are addressed through interdisciplinary research, building upon the discourses of urban/rural growth management, disaster management, social vulnerabilities, etc.
(2) Students are prepared for self-directed research, encouraged to attend local and international academic conferences, and learn through active engagement in community service.
(3) Professional partnerships are formed between the faculty members and students in line with the department's teaching goals and societal expectations.
(4) Professional skills of our graduates are endorsed by the industry, NGOs and other potential employers.
1. Professional skills and knowledge: using innovative research, case study analysis and GIS practicums to enhance one's practical professional skills.
2. Critical thinking skills and problem-solving ability: combining theoretical and practical knowledge to tackle complex urban/rural issues through hazards mitigation planning.
3. Operational and implementation skills: an ability to determine one's research topic and conduct the study; an ability to critically assess research findings; academic writing skills.
4. Project planning and implementation skills: project management throughout its investigation, analysis, planning, and implementation stages.
5. Effective communication skills: enhanced oral presentation and written expression skills (including 3D presentations and the use of GIS in oral presentations).
6. Teamwork skills: cultivating interpersonal communication, cooperation and teamwork skills as well as enchancing students' abilities to coordinate with communities and public sector.
7. Social responsibility: professional ethics and experience in analyzing current trends, in particular, with regards to understanding the impact of spatial developments on local environment and society, as well as the rest of the world.
8. Lifelong learning ability: facilitating a habit of continuous learning, critical thinking and research through plan-do-check-action (PDCA) method.
Professional Master's Degree Program
(1) The integration of two distinct professional fields, namely urban planning and disaster management, equips our students with different sets of skills, ultimately rendering them into highly skilled professionals.
(2) Active learning through teacher-student interactions and group work, provides our students with interdisciplinary knowledge and lifelong learning skills.
(3) Specialized training in geographic information systems (GIS), assists in transforming our students into tech-savvy professionals.
(4) Our graduates are enabled to further develop their professional competence and extend their influence in the workplace.
1. Interdisciplinary knowledge.
2. Integrated planning ability in the professional field.
3. Ability to apply modern technologies in problem-solving.
4. Logical thinking skills.
5. Written and oral presentation skills.
6. Wide-ranging communication skills.
7. Ability to apply theoretical knowledge in practice.
Taipei/250 Zhong Shan N. Rd., Sec. 5, Taipei 111, Taiwan/ +886 2 2882-4564
Taoyan/ 5De Ming Rd., Gui Shan District, Taoyuan City 333, Taiwan/ +886 3 350-7001